Copyright (c) 1995 by Timothy C. Barmann. This article is intended for personal viewing only and may not be re-distributed in any form. Please e-mail link requests.
December 24, 1995
Get inexpensive help
through user groups
By Timothy C. Barmann
Computer user groups are a great way to get friendly and inexpensive help. There are several in our area that meet regularly:
- The Providence IBM-PC chapter of the Boston Computer Society meets the third Tuesday of the month at the Community College of Rhode Island, Warwick. Meetings are free; membership is $49. Contact: Louis Stein, 739-2810 or for recorded meeting announcements, 434-2395; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org; home page, http://ids.net/~louissn/ribcs.html.
- South County Computer Users Group meets third Tuesday at 7 p.m. at the Neighborhood Guild, 325 Columbia St. in South Kingstown. Annual membership fee is $10; meetings are free. Contact: Chuck Jacques, 783-6469. (Updated 11/21/97.)
- Aquidneck Island PC Users Group, an affiliate of the Boston Computer Society, meets the second Saturday at 2 p.m. at the Salvation Army, 51 Memorial Blvd., Newport. Membership and meetings are free. Contact: George Ray, 847-1800.
- Rhode Island Macintosh Users Group meets monthly on the second Thursday at 7:30 p.m. and the last Saturday at 11 a.m. at East Providence High School, 2000 Pawtucket Ave. Meetings are free; membership is $30. Contact: Juan Mariscal at 253-7702, or by e-mail: email@example.com.
- Rhode Island Macintosh Satellite Group of the Boston Computer Society meets the fourth Monday at 6:30 p.m. at Brown University, CIT Building in Providence. Meetings and membership are free. Contact: Bob Hazard, 884-3050 or Gordon Lee 943-8498.
- Rhode Island Apple Group meets the third Tuesday at the Gordon School, 45 Maxfield Ave. in East Providence at 7:30 p.m. Membership is $20; meetings are free. Contact: Dave Angell, 941-8934.
- Aquidneck Island Macintosh Users Group (formerly the Southern Rhode Island Macintosh Users Group) meets the first Saturday at 9 a.m. at Syscon Corp. in the Aquidneck Industrial Park, 10 John Clarke Rd., Middletown. Meetings are free; membership is $10. Contact: Dan Caley, 464-3311 days, 423-0327 nights.
- Ocean State Internet Society meets the third Thursday of each month at the Weaver Public Library, Grove Avenue, in East Providence. Meetings and membership are free. Contact: D. Jane Harrop by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone: 435-8083, box 2; home page, http:// www.ids.net/osis/.
- Paradox Users Forum of New England (Pufone), a subgroup of the Boston Computer Society, focuses on topics about the database program, Paradox. Meetings are held on the second Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m. at Roger Williams University in Bristol. Meetings are free; membership is $15. Contacts: Everett Lewis, 789-9189 or e-mail, email@example.com; or Mary Lynne Poole at firstname.lastname@example.org. Home page: http://www.loa.com/pufone/.
- Alpha Four Users Group was formed to discuss Alpha Four database program for DOS and Windows. No meetings scheduled. Contact: Izzy Ramos, 461-4990 or Frank Ansuini, 333-6112.
General computer groups
- Little Compton Computer Users' Group meets monthly at the Wilbur & McMahon School library on the Commons. Future meetings are Jan. 17, Feb. 14, Mar. 20, April 24 and May 22 at 7:30 p.m. Meetings and membership are free. Contact: Helen Bridge, 635-4143 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
- West Bay Computer Society: Meets second Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. at St. Barnabas Church, 3257 Post Rd., Warwick. Membership is $5, meetings are free. Contact: George Grayson, 785-1656.
- Southern New England Network Users Group: Meets third Wednesday at 7 p.m. at CORE Business Technologies, 2227 Pawtucket Ave., East Providence. Membership and meetings are free. Contact: Charles R. Kineke, 456-7298.